HomeThe UniversityColleges & InstitutesAcademic programmes & CoursesResearchInternational



Karlsruhe University of Education encourages refugees to enroll on different degree programmes. Hence, everyone is welcome to collect information – irrespective of their current status.

Karlsruhe University of Education has a long tradition of teacher training. Furthermore, various other Bachelor and Masters’ degree programmes are offered as well as the opportunity to study for a PhD.

Degree programmes at Karlsruhe University of Education

Teaching-related degree programmes

If you are interested in becoming a teacher, you can find some more information about the German school system at the bottom of the page.

Further Bachelor and Masters’ degree programmes


If you have refugee status, you can make use of the consulting service concerning your opportunities for studying at Karlsruhe University of Education and hand in the necessary application documents at any time during the year.
Scroll down for more detailed information on both the requirements for admission and the application process.

Tuition fees and additional fees

In May 2017 the state of Baden-Württemberg has adopted a new law that introduces tuition fees for international, non-EU students. Therefore, international, non-EU students, who study at a University in Baden-Württemberg are required to pay tuition fees of 1.500 € per semester.

Moreover, an additional student fee of 156.70 € has to be paid per semester by any student. Those additional fees consist of an administration fee (70 €), a fee for the student union (77.70 €) and a fee for the student body (9 €). The student fee includes a student ticket for the regional public transport system (KVV) which is valid for public transport the whole semester. (more information in German: http://www.sw-ka.de/de/internationales/studi-ticket/).

Refugees with a temporary resident permit ("Aufenthaltsgestattung") according to Article 55 paragraph 1 of the asylum law, having a citizenship from a country rated by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees with a protectionrate of 50% or higher, do not have to pay the tuition fees for international students (1,500€). Further exemptions can be found in the law: Gesetz zur Änderung des Landeshochschulgebührengesetzes und anderer Gesetze. If you have any questions concerning the law, don't hesitate to contact us.

Please note that for the Master program 'Geragogy' (Geragogik) an extra fee of 1.600 € is charged.

Accreditation of non-German teacher-training degrees

If you have graduated from a teaching-related degree programme in your country of origin and would like to teach in a school in Baden-Württemberg, your qualifications have to be accredited to the German system first.
You can have your documents checked by the regional council. More information about the process can be found here.

Attendance in lectures as a guest

If - for one reason or another - registering for a standard course is not (yet) possible for you, you can register for a guest status at Karlsruhe University of Education.
This enables you to attend several courses in order to archive a better understanding about course contents and the requirements of degree programs offered at our university.
Please note: As a student with guest status you are not allowed to take any examinations. Moreover, the time spent in lectures as a guest will not be recognized as time spent studying in any official capacity: no certificate, no transcript and no confirmation of attendance will be issued by the university.

In order to register as a student with guest status, you will need to fill in the relevant application form and hand it in at the Study Service Centre (Studien-Service-Zentrum). The application form can be downloaded via this link: https://www.ph-karlsruhe.de/fileadmin/user_upload/studium/Online-Service/AntragGasthoerer.pdf

Refugees pay a fixed fee of 25 Euros regardless of the amount of lectures chosen.

Opportunities for financing your studies

BAföG: BAföG (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz) is a government-funded student loan. Half of it is a state-grant and the other half is an interest-free loan. The latter half has to be paid back at the earliest five years after your standard period of study. It is possible to do so by instalments.
If – and from what point on – you are entitled to receive BAföG depends on your residence permit status.

Counselling for student refugees

Address of the BAföG-office:
Studierendenwerk Karlsruhe
Adenauerring 7
76131 Karlsruhe


Several organizations, universities, federal states and cities have started to offer different scholarships specifically designed for refugees. The following pages can help you to find a suitable one for you:

  • The database of scholarships by the Federal Ministry for Education and Research (Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung) provides an helpful overview of offered scholarships in Germany.
  • The Protestant Development Service 'Bread for the World' (Brot für die Welt) has created a scholarship program for refugees.
  • The Hans-Böckler-Foundation offers refugees the possibility to apply for scholarships in one of its regular programs.

General information about studying in Germany

There are different websites offering further information about studying in Germany, especially for refugees: