HomeThe UniversityColleges & InstitutesAcademic programmes & CoursesResearchInternational


Find an accommodation in Karlsruhe

Like most German universities the Karlsruhe University of Education does not own its own halls of residence, but we provide exhange students with assistance in finding accommodation in Karlsruhe.

Halls of Residence
We are usually able to accommodate a number of exchange students in the halls of residence run by the "Studentenwerk" or other providers. Information and an application form will be send to you with your information package.

Information about the halls of residence in Karlsruhe can be accessed hereExchange students at the University of Education are usually accommodated in one of the halls of residence which are only a short walk from the University of Education.

The rent for a room in a students hall of residence is generally between € 220 and € 290 a month. Be aware, that the lease must be for at least six months (September - February or March - August). A € 350 deposit is also required which has to be paid to the International Office upon arrival. It is to pay for possible damage, but if the room is left in good condition and you return your key, the deposit will be reimbursed before you leave.

When you move in, a checklist has to be filled out. Check very carefully to make sure everything in the room is in order. If anything is missing or damaged, you should have that registered on the checklist and inform the International Office. It is important that you are not held responsible for damage that was already there when you moved in.

Privat Accommodation
If you do not want to live in halls of residence, you can look for a flat or a room in a shared flat (Wohngemeinschaft (WG)). The following links and sources may be helpful when looking for private accommodation in Karlsruhe:

Useful tips for appartment-hunters in general and links to different helpful online-plattforms are provided on the website of the "Studentenwerk".

The "Studentenwerk" offers as well a private accommodation service that can be accessed online.

You can use the internet, or you can check out offers of rooms on the information board in the main building of the University of Education. You can also look in the local press such as the „Kurier“, which is delivered free of charge to all households, or 'Sperrmüll' which is also available on Thursdays, or the Saturday edition of the "Badische Neueste Nachrichten" (BNN) which you can buy at newspaper stands.